Becoming an Independent Recruiter can offer more freedom, flexibility, and earning potential. Here’s what to keep in mind when freelance recruiting:
1. Gain experience: It is recommended to have 5 years of experience at a staffing agency before starting your own freelance recruiting career. This will give you the skills and network you need to find clients and candidates.
2. Niche down: Specialise in a specific industry to become an expert and communicate effectively with clients and candidates.
3. Plan and set up your business: Consider your target niche, work location, client acquisition strategy, and candidate sourcing plan. Set up a limited company, choose a business name, open a business bank account, use an applicant tracking system (ATS), and an accountant.
4. Find clients: Hunt for companies actively hiring and pitch your services. Charge 10–25% of the candidate’s annual salary. Have a contract written up by a lawyer to ensure payment.
5. Sourcing candidates: Utilise your extensive network built over the years and be experienced in finding suitable candidates for open positions.
Knowing where to start when becoming a freelance recruiter can be difficult, so here are a few things to consider that will hopefully get you well on your way… read our blog on The Ultimate Guide To Becoming A Freelance Recruiter to give you an overview of what will be required to become a freelance recruiter. For a more detailed guide, we recommend working through the 15 steps from our blog on How To Become A Freelance Recruiter.
We appreciate that finding clients as a freelance recruiter can have its challenges… especially when it comes to finding new clients! Read our blog on How To Find Clients As A Freelance Recruiter to give you some ideas and strategies on how to approach this.
If you want to know more about applicant tracking systems (ATS) and the best free applicant tracking systems out there today then do consider our recent blog on The 7 Best FREE Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) of 2023.
Need tools to support you as a freelance recruiter? Giig offers a free ATS that has everything you need for your applicant tracking. Once you have started building your network/database on Giig you will then have the added benefit of being connected to clients that use the Giig marketplace.